Croup! (There It Is)

*Not to be confused with “Whoomp! (There It Is) by Tag Team*

Just a few days after finally getting over my cough, croup hit our house.

Avery had been waking up for a couple nights and coming to my room. She kept saying she was having bad dreams so I didn’t think anything of it.

Saturday she woke up and said her throat hurt. I shined a flashlight down her throat and didn’t see anything. She immediately asked for a sucker so I was convinced she was just faking to get a sucker. (Backstory: I let the girls have suckers if they have sore throats because they can’t have cough drops.)

So we continued with our Saturday plans. Avery and her dad spent the day together and I drove Claire to a play date. I dropped her off and went shopping.

If you didn’t know, I LOVE thrift/consignment shop shopping. It’s better for the environment. It’s cheaper. The thrift stores here all donate to good causes like feeding/clothing the homeless, missionaries in Africa and so on. Win, win, win!

I had opened up our Christmas decoration box I brought from America and realized I was severely lacking. It only had tree decorations and a nativity scene. So Saturday, I hopped from store to store looking for Christmas decorations.

When Claire’s first play date was over, we made our way to pick up Avery and her dad for another play date. This one involved another friend of Claire’s and we were all invited.

The girls had a great time. Claire and her friend even made a movie for us adults. We also had a chance to talk to other parents about the school, living in Denmark and life with kids. It was so enjoyable!

Their home was also gorgeous! I love the Scandinavian decor. It’s sleek, white and simple. Now I want to redecorate our current home, so I need to plan a day to thrift store shop again. *Mental note*

So back to the croup…

Avery started becoming unhappy as the night went on. We figured it was likely just the waking up in the middle of the night issue. She woke up two hours later with a high fever and barking cough.

If you have kids, you know it and can identify it well. Sounds like a seal barking.

She seemed very uncomfortable and was crying about the cough and how her throat hurt. I was able to get her to take some medicine to try and make her a bit more comfortable. She fell back asleep but not for long.

She continued to have coughing attacks and we were often running to the bathroom because 1) she was drinking so much water and 2) she was also throwing up a bit from the coughing.

After a restless night and another high fever in the morning, I decided to call the doctor’s office.

Our local doctor is closed on weekends so we had to call a different number. It’s not like 911 (that’s 112 here) but like a nurse on call number. I was told to take her to the doctor in the neighboring town at the local emergency room at 11:05.

Now this is where the translation got lost or I guess how the NHS is different than back in the states. If you’re from the states, you are likely very familiar with emergency rooms. They are typically attached to a hospital, very busy and it may take a long time to get seen. There are multiple nurses and a receptionist (or two) to assist you. Back in the states, we also have urgent cares too. These are similar to emergency rooms but are located more in a clinic type environment. They are there for when your general practitioner is closed and for non-life threatening situations. You still have to make an appointment (typically) but they are much cheaper than emergency room visits.

So I was looking for an emergency room type setting in the neighboring town. We arrived at the “hospital” but there were hardly any cars. There was no official entrance saying skadestue. I pulled on a couple doors and they were all locked. We did a drive around the block. Nothing.

On the second trip by, we noticed a sign that said lægehus (doctor’s house). I walked inside and tried to speak to those waiting (three people total). Unfortunately, de talte ikke engelsk (they did not speak English). I likely looked foolish to them. It was the only door open and I walked in trying to find a receptionist in this tiny hallway with about 15 chairs and a bathroom.

Fortunately, there was a taxi driver outside. He spoke perfect English. He told me that I was in the right spot and that I didn’t have to check in or anything. I just had to sit and wait for Avery to be called.

We took a seat and waited.

Avery was called in about 10-15 minutes by the doctor. No nurses again (like our first visit to the doctors). He checked her over and asked a few questions. He agreed with my thoughts. She had croup. It was viral; there was nothing she could take and that cold, moist air would be best for her. We were told to keep an eye on her breathing and if she gets worse to bring her to hospital.

The next four days were spent with Avery cuddling with me 24/7. My husband had a scheduled work trip so I was solo parenting. And man, it was tough. Avery and I tried to spend time outside but she complained about the cold. I opened some windows and that worked for a couple days. She was drinking water in copious amounts to calm the coughing attacks so I ended up getting peed on twice. She was also more stubborn than normal due to being sick. We woke up several times a night for coughing attacks and water. When I thought she was better, she got sick on the way to school.

Happily, I can report she’s feeling better. The coughing is much less now. It mainly happens when she’s upset or lying down for extended periods. I’m ready for a good nights sleep and I’m sure she is too.

One thought on “Croup! (There It Is)

  1. Larry and Lorraine Tonn

    Poor girl! Who should we feel more sorry for? Avery or Mom? Larry says Mark!! Truthfully, we hope Avery is feeling better and the rest of you have gotten rest.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s